Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Saturday, June 30, 2012

I tackled Beatty Drive twice already this week, now for the third time and then to continue up Green Valley Rd and climb up Serrano Parkway.... I didn't get the early morning start I wanted to, but I got myself out the door by 9:05.

I pedaled my usual route, up Folsom Lake Crossing and as I came to Empire Ranch I saw two other cyclists heading down Sophia Parkway. The thought crossed my mind, are they heading to Beatty Drive too? Yep. I kept them in my sights climbing up the hill. It doesn't look that steep, but at 3 mph it must be. Pedal, pedal, almost to the plateau. The two cyclists ahead of me were taking a water break at the plateau. 'Good Morning.'

I kept going enjoying the almost conquering of the hill talking myself up the hill, almost there. Then I hear "Good Job!" as another cyclist cruises past me then turns off on a street to head home. Wow, I think to myself, I thought the hill to get to my house was bad!

I keep pedaling, then another cyclist approaches, he tells me his daughter went to Arizona for the weekend and that it's 112 degrees there and he'll take this weather. I agree. He turns off a side road after another cyclist who is looking at a map asks him directions.

I proceed to the top, take in the gorgeous view of Folsom Lake and wonder where those other riders headed, there must be a route I don't know about, but that's not surprising as I'm just out exploring looking for hills.

It's getting warmer (it's actually very nice out). Something you should know about me, I like to climb the hills, I'm not much of a fan of going down them, and I’m afraid to go fast. Going over my handlebars at 15 was enough for me. I hit 35 mph and begin to panic and put the brakes on. As I get to the bottom the "suffering" of climbing the hill and the speed of downhill has subsided and I decide to head up to Serrano Parkway.

I climb Serrano Parkway; it's not as tough as I remembered it last year. Sure, it’s easy to say now sitting behind the computer. I refilled my water and headed back down. I noticed a sign on the landscaping stating not to drink the water, it's recycled. I hope the water I just got wasn't part of that!

I head back to Green Valley Parkway and decide it's not too hot or too late for one last hill I've wanted to try, I go down it heading to Green Valley Rd, so now I make a left onto Sophia Parkway and do the climb. Again, it does not seem as hard as I thought it would be.

I turn down Natomas ready for my regular route home. When I returned home I had completed 41.12 miles in 3:13:59, which for me I thought was great for my first big ride and with hills for this year! I was stopped a total of just under 28 minutes, had to refuel with my almond butter banana sandwich before Serrano Parkway and then I had to call my hubby from the top, who advised me lunch would be ready when I arrived home!

I love fresh fruit after a ride and my sweetheart of a hubby had a bowl of melons and pineapple all ready for me.

Life is Good!

View of Folsom Lake from the top of Beatty
 At the "plateau"

What goes up, must come down.

6 comments:

  1. very good, I expect to hear of your next adventure !! We will do a ride then you will have some comedy to add !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, my next adventure taking you zucchini is posted! If this weekend doesn't work out, we need to book August! My blog will be in need of some comedy by then! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Loved this!! What beautiful scenery you see! You are excellent at your descriptions. I'm very tired now after my ride with you. I need to go put my feet up =)
    Can't wait to see where we're going next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) You're riding with me when you come to visit right? We can ride to Grandma's.

      Delete
  3. Okay, I love riding with you on your blog. Just wish I could really ride with you. Wish you had started this 10 years ago. Oh well I am inspired anyway, rode on my tiny hills in my neighborhood last night. Got a long way to go, I will need a motor attached to my bike to keep up with you. Keep riding and writing and I will imagine that I am with you. Fastlynnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I commented on your last post and its not here, I must have missed a final submit. Anyway I love reading about your riding adventures...keep it going. Fastlynnie

    ReplyDelete